Texas Deceptive Trade Practice Act
Texas law is designed to protect consumers from false or misleading advertising. The Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) prohibits businesses and salespersons from using false statements, duress, exaggerations, or misleading advertisements to get your business.
As Texas consumer protection attorneys, The Crew Law Firm helps businesses and individuals who have experienced consumer fraud. We represent clients in a wide range of consumer protection matters and can advise you about filing a claim.
Consumer Protection Issues Covered By The DTPA
The DTPA grants broad consumer protection rights to individuals and businesses. It applies to consumer transactions involving fraud or misrepresentations such as the following:
- False advertising
- False or misleading billing practices
- Misleading agreements or contracts
- Contracts and agreements that take unfair advantage of a consumer
- Representing used goods as new
- Misrepresenting the quality or grade of a product or service
- Any representation regarding the source, sponsorship, approval, or certification of goods or services that is false, misleading or deceptive
- Disparaging or providing misleading information about the goods or services of another
- Advertising goods with no intent to sell them as advertised or without disclosing limitation of quantity
- Failure to disclose information that would cause a consumer not to purchase a product or service
- Taking advantage of a disaster by selling goods or services at inflated prices
Under DTPA, consumers must prove that they relied on the deception to their detriment and suffered financial loss. Before filing suit, they must first send a written demand letter to the seller letting them know what they want. If the seller does not remedy the situation within 60 days, a suit may be filed for damages.
How Can The Crew Law Firm Help Me?
If you would like to contact me about a potential case I may be able to assist you with, please leave your information below.
Phone & Fax
Toll Free: 844-797-9993
League City, Texas 77573